Sunday 30 August 2020

3 Peaceful Days in the Land of Dalai Lama

 

“I love places that make you realize how tiny you and your problems are”

                                                                                                                                        

                                                                                                                                             -Anonymous

I always believe that one should go on a trip every year and do things that they like. Traveling gives you a chance to be yourself, where you can connect with yourself and explore new places. I am saying this because I do the same. Living in a metro city like New Delhi as an outstation person gives you a lot of stress as you are always on the run. I feel the need to escape that starts with an urge that does not let me live in peace. It was more than 2 years that I did not take a trip; that was quite a long time. I remember it was a weekend of Dussehra in October 2018 when I decided to explore McLeod Ganj.   

 

Dharamshala is a peaceful place that is close to nature, situated in Himachal Pradesh. I went there to experience the serenity and witness the beauty of Himachal Pradesh. The moment I stepped into Dharamshala, I pinched myself whether I am dreaming or is it actually true that I am already there (I was excited to see mountains after a long time.)

 

Dhauladhar Range

 

I was accompanied by a friend, we both headed towards Hostel Lavie that was our accommodation. Seeing the mountains after a long time I could not stop myself from making Instagram stories and capturing every moment. The hostel has dormitories with beautiful interiors. McLeodganj is a peaceful place that is next to the Dhauladhar range. Throughout the village, you can experience Tibetan feel with numerous monasteries.  

After the room was allotted to us we made an itinerary of what we will be doing that day. Later, we decided to explore nearby places on foot. We left our dorm and took a walk till Bhagsu Waterfall, which is one of the most famous spots of McLeodganj. The waterfall is situated in the Bhagsu village at a height of 20m. You can reach there by trekking a few miles. The route is easy to trek. Nearby there is Bhagsu Nag temple that is dedicated to Lord Shiva. We stayed there for a while, got wet in the waterfall, and get soaked in the sun. 

Bhagsu Waterfall

After visiting this place, we headed to Shiva Café which is quite famous among travelers. To visit this café, you need to trek a little from the waterfall. The patch to reach the café is quite rough; but, it is worth it which you will realize after reaching the café. It is beautifully constructed and the vibe is relaxing. The café serves delicious food. You must try their Israeli breakfast, pasta, and juice. 

The same day we came back to our accommodation to take rest for a while. I could not stop myself from going to the terrace as I am an evening person. I went to the terrace of the café to enjoy the evening view, clicked some pictures, and came back. 

For dinner, we went to Tibet Kitchen. It is one of the most sought-after restaurants in McLeodganj as it serves traditional Tibetan dishes. This place will get crowded; hence, you must try visiting here early in the evening. I really enjoyed sipping steaming thukpa and indulging in Tibetan feel. It was really going well to be in McLeodganj as I was enjoying to be a guest in the home of Dalai Lama. 

Because of some personal issues, we could not make it Triund; but, thankfully there was so much to explore in McLeodganj that when we made itinerary we had enough places to explore. After having breakfast we headed to Namgyal Monastery. It was a different feeling to see the monks living such a simple life. You must visit this place to experience Buddhism culture and learn their simplicity.

The next we headed to Indru Naag for some adventure as we could not make to Triund. I was willing to try an adventure activity so that I feel that I did something exciting. Indru Naag is almost 4 km from Dharamshala Main Market and is mainly famous for paragliding. I was very much interested in paragliding as I never did it before. Trying new activities is what I always like. Seeing other people going for paragliding was a mixed feeling of thrill, fascination, and fear at the same time. The weather conditions were ideal that day all I was a little scared of how will be the feeling of flying across the mountains. After wearing the coveralls and helmet and checking all the gears, I was ready to take off. After running a few steps down the slope, I found myself swinging in the air. I was flying and I could see the mountains around me. It was difficult to control my emotions as one moment I was feeling scared and the other moment I was enjoying it. I enjoyed every moment of it as there was silence. It was indeed a beautiful time and I wish I could capture it. I wish to keep flying; but, unfortunately, all good things come to end. After fifteen minutes, we began the descent. The landing was exciting as I was told that on touching the ground, I must run a few steps. On reaching the ground, I was worried about landing; but, it went smooth. After reaching the ground, I found a field a few steps away from where there was a herd of sheep. It was not less than a Bollywood movie scene, I wish I could capture it as I was not carrying a camera at that moment. 

 


Later we headed to Illiterati Books & Coffee to have lunch. This is one of the favorite cafes of McLeodganj where you can indulge in some good music, delicious food, and read books. You can also enjoy the beautiful views of the Dhauladhar range. You can enjoy a wide range of cuisines from French to the Mediterranean. I would definitely recommend visiting this café to have a satisfying meal. 

 


Our next destination to explore was St. John in the Wilderness, an Anglican church in McLeodganj. This church is located amidst the deodar trees in a spooky surroundings. It has a story that dates back to the British period. The place has little eerie vibe; also there is a graveyard on the other side of the church. The place is near to the bus stand. We then walked back to the market had some snacks and then, we headed to our homestay to unwind for the day. Later, we went walking through the streets to explore the local shops where I bought some souvenirs. 


As I mentioned earlier, we could not make it to Triund so we decided to visit Dharamkot which is a quaint village near McLeodganj. Here, you can indulge in spiritual vibes and disconnect from the outside world. If you want to just relax and do not want to go hiking, then you must visit this place. My friend and I found a house with a small garden area where we had a nice time clicking pictures as we were enjoying the privacy. 


The next we headed to the famous Dharamshala Cricket Stadium. This stadium attracts a huge number of tourists from all over the country, and why not cricket holds a special place in the heart of Indians. The place is picturesque and I would definitely love to view a live match there. It was the third day and on that day we had to return to Delhi. We immediately left to the bus station so that we can reach there timely. 

Final Thoughts

Dharamshala is a calm place that is close to nature. Not only gorgeous views and monasteries, but you can also find here ample food options such as Tibetan, Italian, and Punjabi food. There are also a number of shops where you can buy handicrafts, woolen clothes, and jewelry. You can easily explore this place on a 3-day trip and can visit nearby hill stations like Bir Billing, Palampur, and Naddi. You can visit this place at any time of the year. 

It was 2018 when I visited this place, and of course, I would love to visit again; but, I only wish that its beauty should be preserved. With heavy tourism, most hill stations have lost their charm. I do not want this to happen with McLeodganj too. This trip had mixed emotions, as I experienced serenity, adventure, and felt really close to nature. It was indeed a memorable trip and I wish if I visit McLeodganj again I would visit Triund.  

Do you love to travel and have experiences of this place? Share in the comments below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment